Food my kid will like! Shepherds Pie with a Christmas twist

Wow! That's what I'll say about this meal.
Then I will say - ALL of the kids and adults at the table ate until we could eat no more.
THEN I will say I got them to eat peas, broccoli, corn, potatoes, beef, pork and turkey. All of that, all of them.
And hopefully none of them read this and find out. ;) Our secret.
Ingredients:
Ground meats - take your pick, I used all of them. A package of the meatloaf ground meats and then a package of ground turkey.
I made a 9 x 13 inch baking dish sized meal and used a total of about 2.5 lbs or 1.25 kgs of meat.
Correct me in the comments if I'm wrong about that approximate conversion.
Two cans of niblet corn
Two cans of peas
Two stalks of broccoli - cut off the tops. Save stalks for soup stock maybe? I do.
About 6 med potatoes, skins on
Start by browning the meat mixture. I threw in some Worcestershire sauce while browning it. Mmm... and some Herbamare.
I have a 7 month old so I do things when I can, sporadically throughout the day. 10am - brown meats for tonight's dinner! Hahahah!

After browning it, I put it in the baking dish and into the fridge. Off I go to mash some bananas and play baby sign language games...
Okay. Baby is napping. 2 pm. Boil potatoes and drain them once cooked. I cut them into quarters and boiled them for about 15-20 minutes. Poke 'em with a fork to test!

I didn't want to wait for more water to boil so I drained the water into another pot and threw the broccoli in on boil for about 6-8 minutes. Normally I like broccoli with a bit of crunch but we want to mash it in with the potatoes.

Now toss the broccoli and the two cans of peas (drained) and the potatoes into one pot and mash them up! Add some butter and a little milk as you go along to get the texture you like for your smashy foods! Creamy or chunky mashed potatoes? Yum, yes to both!!!


Oh my goodness, does that not look amazing?
Grab the baking dish with the meat from the fridge and put a layer of corn on top of the meat.

(Those turkey chunks stayed bigger than most ground meat but added such a great texture and flavour!)
Now spread the mashed mixture over top!
I've made the mashed mixture before and it is very popular (Thank you, Jamie Oliver - see here for his original recipe) with my whole family. It spreads jut like the mashed potatoes onto shepherds pie so yay for that! And I always make little peaks that brown off nicely - because it's green and because Christmas is coming - I made the peaks in Christmas tree shapes. Awww...

Here is what it looks like from the side:

Now it goes into the oven set to 375 degrees, about 45 minutes before you plan to be eating. I covered it with foil for the first 25 minutes and then the last 15 minutes without foil, I turned it up to about 425 degrees to crisp the top layer a bit. See?

Yummy! And, as promised lots of green veggies, lots of proteins and no complaints!
Mostly Mommy